Wednesday, September 8, 2010

nappy roots

so, remember back here when i talked about doing this?  well, i ran out of my delicious rosemary & mint shampoo about a week ago, and haven't looked back.  now, of course, i've become the shredder, i'm a little scared about what a daily (very sweaty) workout is going to do.  so i'm at least a week in, if not longer into this experiment, and let's just say it's going to be interesting.  today, i had to re-read the article plus this article because my hair is looking a little... well, limp.  i've also been rocking the ponytail for the last week. 

i'm not sure if i'm supposed to be still using conditioner or styling products.  i have been doing conditioner just on my ends, and i've used styling products a couple times.  i think i may just go to conditioner once a week and try to wean myself completely from my styling products.  sorry bumble & bumble.  

it looks like it can take anywhere from 2 weeks to several months before your scalp stops overproducing oil to make up for it's non-shampoo shock.  i'm hoping for me that it's closer to the former, and not the latter.  lulu asked me to post/take a daily photo of my hair.  i don't think i'll do daily, but how about weekly.  so, here is my rat's nest after week one of being "poo-free"

note:  these photos were taken after a workout, before my shower.  it's also been in a ponytail for around 24 hours.

 so you can definitely tell my hair is very oily

here's all of my hair.  at least it's so shiny it's got serious camera flash on it!
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. You're doing it! You are braver than I, I just can't go without washing my hair and the whole style it stuff. I'm very curious about this and will be following along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you on the post-workout sweaty hair thing. I couldn't just stop cold turkey b/c running in this heat generates quite a bit of sweat in the ole hair. I ordered DevaCare No-Poo Cleanser & I use it about 3 times a week, which is about how often I used to shampoo. Good luck, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so interesting, mcmel. i hadn't heard of this before, but it makes a lot of sense. my hair is crazy, i couldn't predict how it would behave poo-free. having two kids has rendered part of my hair wavy/curly in the back, but everything on top is straight. its so strange. your hair is pretty curly naturally, right? i can't remember. anyhow, i look forward to seeing how this experiment goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lulu- it's definitely getting harder every day to just not run to the shower and pour an entire bottle of shampoo on it!!

    his- keep us updated on how the devacare works- if the completely shampoo free doesn't work, i may have to make a trip to ulta to pick some up

    tara- my hair is pretty wavy, but it's been a little weird since i've had ian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mel, I am now on day 4 of no poo and my hair isn't so bad. I am using a baking soda/h2o mix to wash and an apple cider vinegar to condition though. Even my sisters can't really tell! I have worn it up in a pony tail because I think it looks greasy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie- I'm going to try the baking soda. I haven't looked at my hair today since i washed it (really sad, huh), so i have no idea what it looks like, but it had been looking super oily to me, and almost like i have dandruff- just dirty. I meant to buy baking soda last night and i forgot- but i've got to try something!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting my blog! your sweet words keep me going!