Friday, January 8, 2010

not just about the breathing

Well, not having baby when we were supposed to has brought another fun adventure into our lives, and that is childbirth classes. We thought (or mostly Dave thought) that we had escaped this adventure, but with no baby, that means we have plenty of time. We had signed up for the express class back in September- 4 months before our due date, and still couldn't get into a class until January. Part of this was because the express classes are monthly, and the only 2 classes remaining in 2009 were both on weekends we had already planned to go to Georgia. The other part dealt with the fact that our hospital just moved into a new building about 3 weeks ago and we didn't want to be doing a tour or classes in a hospital where I wouldn't be giving birth.

So here we are. We did our tour on Monday. Let me just say that the new hospital is pretty awesome. The entire 3rd floor is devoted to the birthing center and offices for Dr's who deliver at the hospital. The hospital has a no-separation policy for natural birth, meaning that once you have delivered your baby their first bath and all the other necessary baby things are done in your room just a few feet away from you. Also, the security is high-tech! Baby gets his/her own "baby lojack" ankle monitor. If someone tries to take baby through a door where baby shouldn't be- the entire floor shuts down- even those with security passes to get through doors cannot use their badges until baby is located and brought back to where he/she should be. The NICU is also on the floor and allows for 24-hour visitation. Also, in your room mommy can get meals cooked to order, and dad gets 1 meal cooked to order. Mmm, I can't wait!

So, childbirth express class is this weekend- 9:30-4:30 with an hour for lunch. From what I have read the classes are pretty good- not a lot of the breathing stuff, but more the stuff you need to know stuff. Plus, they do free carseat checks. I'm actually looking forward to it! I just hope i don't go into labor! At the tour, I was the one poor idiot who was within weeks of her due date, while there were people on the tour who hadn't even hit 20 weeks yet... So I guess I'll be the idiot at the childbirth class with 10 days to go until my due date. Should be fun!

So, I'll keep you posted on the classes, and my quest for very last-minute belly pics! Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for visiting my blog! your sweet words keep me going!