Saturday, January 16, 2010

reading while i can

so, just recently, Kindredly posted some books she is looking forward to reading in 2010. Well, there may not be much time for reading in my 2010 future, but I am already on my 3rd book this year (if i continued this trend i'd probably beat my 2008 stats). I love books- the stories, their pretty covers. We have 4 ikea shelves full of them (a little much, maybe), our storage unit flooded earlier this summer, and what did I cry over losing? My books (in fact, I still haven't started to replace the ones we lost yet- boo). Anyway, here's what i've read (or am reading) so far in 2010.

Julie & Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen or Julie & Julia: Or My Year of Cooking Dangerously. Julie Powell

I must say, I liked this book, but not as much as I thought I would. I have yet to see the movie though. I got the book because I had heard good things about the movie, and because of my love for cooking. Reading this book however, did NOT inspire me to go out and cook all or ANY of Julia Child's recipes from Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I love to cook, and I really love to eat, but I may draw the line at livers, and bone marrow. What I didn't like about this book- the constant use of the "f word" (yes, she mentions that in her book, and she doesn't care, whatever). Also, I hate when people in certain political parties insult those who are in the opposite political party. It's childish. Thirdly, some of the book as she claims was just "made up" including the "scenes" from Julia Child's life. I'd probably give this book a B- or C+ and now I feel bad that I bought it for someone as a Christmas gift...
Push by Sapphire (some may know it as Precious, Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire)
Well, if I thought the "f word" or other words of obscenity were used excessively in Julie & Julia, it certainly had nothing on Push. This is another book I decided to read after hearing good things about the movie (and I haven't seen this movie either). It's 1987 and Precious is an overweight, illiterate 16 year old, pregnant with her 2nd child by her father, living on welfare with her mother who mentally, physically and sexually abuses her. She's kicked out of school for being pregnant, but given the opportunity to enroll in an alternative school. There, her teacher, Blu Rain, tries to make a difference in Precious' life and Precious begins to see that she can turn things around for herself. The book is a short read- just over 100 pages. It's a heartbreaker. You'll be disgusted and shocked by the life that Precious has lived so far, but you'll be cheering her along as she begins to make a life for herself and her child. It's definitely difficult to read at times, but I still enjoyed the story. I'd give it an A.


That Extra Half an Inch: Hair, Heels and Everything in Between. Victoria Beckham



Victoria Beckham is a guilty pleasure of mine. Basically she could tell me to wear a burlap sack and jump off London Bridge, and I would consider it. Here, Posh gives advice on how to wear everything from denim to maternity clothes (and so far, that's all I've read: denim, trousers and maternity clothes). Although I can't afford a darn thing she is recommending, she still gives good advice that I can take and apply to what I actually can afford until I can actual afford to buy everything from Topshop or Balenciaga (riiight). I'm looking forward to reading what else she has to say- plus, I love the pretty pictures. This may be my last book for a while. We'll see. I give it an A b\c I love you, Posh, I love you.
2 days, my friends, 2 days. We'll see if baby has other plans.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for visiting my blog! your sweet words keep me going!